From: Miroslav <miroslav@lukic.ovh>
To: Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@irif.fr>
Cc: galene@lists.galene.org
Subject: [Galene] Re: Recording in v0.61
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 22:15:04 +0100	[thread overview]

Miroslav

Le 07/12/2022 à 17:36, Juliusz Chroboczek a écrit :
>> - the picture becomes blurry during a few seconds or sometimes longer (see
>> attached examples).
> That may happen after a keyframe, if the congestion controller indicates
> that there isn't enough throughput available to send the whole keyframe.
> This is more visible when recording, since recording causes extra keyframes.
Do you think it could be possible to improve the recording reliability
for low internet connections in future versions of Galene ? Even if the
image is not high resolution, this would be less stressfull when you
record an important conference (and the speaker has a slow connection).
In my case I always double with a local recording (using Vokoscreen) but
it requires some preparation.
Sorry if I say stupid things (I am not a computer scientist) but I have
seen an other videoconferencing tool using a web front end (= no
application to download on your PC) and the video is stored in the
browser and sent to the server on the go. The recorded file continous to
be uploaded after the end of the conference (= the presenter must keep
his browser open a few more minutes until the file is totally uploaded).
It is then possible to have a "lower" quality recording and a higher
quality recording.

>> It happens many times during the recording, even though the picture was
>> good during the conference.
> Strange, the picture should be exactly the same.  Are you using the same
> video player?  Perhaps there's a sharpening filter in one player and not
> the other?
During the video conference I use Firefox or Chromium. I read the
recordings with Chromium or I simply download the files and edit with
Kdenlive

>> Usually my video stream recording is always good, but when an other
>> person has a medium or low quality internet connection the video
>> recording has issues.
> Yes, if you have a good connection, then the congestion controller doesn't
> limit the throughput.
>
>> - the video stream for one person can be cut and I sometimes get two or
>> three parts I need to assemble during editing. Maybe it is normal, I don't
>> know.
> Yes, it's unfortunately normal: WebRTC may change the video's resolution
> at every keyframe (due to congestion or due to the user rotating their
> phone), and we start a new file every time.
>
> I've considered using a single file even when changing resolution, the
> resulting video works, but it's not a technically correct Matroska file.
As long as the video and audio quality are good it is not a real problem.

>> - Could it be possible to have a "download" button for the recordings ?
> There's one already.  Just go to
>
>    https://galene.example.org:8443/recordings/groupname/
Sorry but I only have a "delete" button. I've opened the
/recordings/groupname/ link with Chromium and Chrome same result.