* [Galene] Good news: I'm now working on Galene (almost) full time
@ 2024-10-03 11:29 Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2024-10-03 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: galene

Dear all,

For family reasons, I've taken a one year leave from teaching, effective
September 2024.  I have applied for an nlnet grant to work (almost) full
time on Galene, and it is now official:

  https://nlnet.nl/thema/NGIZeroCore.html
  https://nlnet.nl/project/Galene/

Many thanks to Dave Taht, who told me to get in touch with nlnet in the
first place.

Nlnet have asked me to produce a fairly detailed work plan for the next
six months, which I have.  Now that the grant has been approved, I have
a last chance to review the plan, so if there's any particular feature or
issue that you want me to work on, please send me a mail.

Related to the above, I am now open for consulting jobs, so if you know of
something fun, socially useful, and well paid (pick two out of three),
please do consider contacting me.

Regards,

-- Juliusz

* [Galene] Re: Good news: I'm now working on Galene (almost) full time
@ 2024-10-03 11:40 ` Tim Panton
From: Tim Panton @ 2024-10-03 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juliusz Chroboczek; +Cc: galene

This is great news - I’m glad to see NlNet still doing good after all these years!

Purely selfishly I’d like to see WHEP support - and/or possibly a ‘default to full screen view only client’ mode.
You might also want to look at daisychaining Galenes to support big ’town hall’ style meetups.

Congrats!

Tim.

@ 2024-10-03 11:56   ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2024-10-03 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Panton; +Cc: galene

> Purely selfishly I’d like to see WHEP support

Unfortunately, WHEP is not expressive enough to work with Galene.  Galene
will occasionally tear down a stream and replace it with a new one (the
client hides the transition from the user), for example when changing the
simulcast envelope, and I don't see how to express that in WHEP.

If you see a solution, I'll be delighted to implement WHEP, since I'm
very keen on open protocols.

> - and/or possibly a ‘default to full screen view only client’ mode.

Sure, but I'd need to understand the use case.  Could you describe exactly
what you'd use that for?

@ 2024-10-03 12:36     ` Tim Panton
From: Tim Panton @ 2024-10-03 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juliusz Chroboczek; +Cc: galene

> On 3 Oct 2024, at 12:56, Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@irif.fr> wrote:
>
>> Purely selfishly I’d like to see WHEP support
>
> Unfortunately, WHEP is not expressive enough to work with Galene.  Galene
> will occasionally tear down a stream and replace it with a new one (the
> client hides the transition from the user), for example when changing the
> simulcast envelope, and I don't see how to express that in WHEP.
>
> If you see a solution, I'll be delighted to implement WHEP, since I'm
> very keen on open protocols.

Given that WHEP isn’t signed off yet - we should raise that and see what the group says.

>> - and/or possibly a ‘default to full screen view only client’ mode.
>
> Sure, but I'd need to understand the use case.  Could you describe exactly
> what you'd use that for?

We have situations where we have a group of viewers watching an event on a big screen or smart tv.
They aren’t participants in the discussion - but they do want to see/hear the panel (say), or see the view from a car mounted camera.
I think these are different use cases though because the 1st one needs to display multiple streams but the second is almost certainly a single stream.

T.

> -- Juliusz

* [Galene] WHEP and Galene [was: Good news...]
@ 2024-10-03 13:19       ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2024-10-03 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Panton; +Cc: galene, wish

CC-ing the IETF WISH working group.

In case not everyone has perfect acronym memory:

  - WHIP is a standardised ingress protocol, that allows pushing a WebRTC
    stream into a server; it is implemented in Galene, and can be used for
    example to get a stream from OBS Studio into Galene;

  - WHEP is the dual of WHIP, it allows pulling a single video stream from
    a server; it is currently a fairly complete draft;

  - WISH is the IETF working group in charge of WHIP and WHEP.

>> Unfortunately, WHEP is not expressive enough to work with Galene.  Galene
>> will occasionally tear down a stream and replace it with a new one (the
>> client hides the transition from the user), for example when changing the
>> simulcast envelope, and I don't see how to express that in WHEP.

> Given that WHEP isn’t signed off yet - we should raise that and see what
> the group says.

WHEP is a simple protocol that has its uses, but, unlike WHIP, I don't
think it can be easily extended to meet the needs of Galene.  WHEP
publishes a single static stream, while Galene needs to publish
a dynamically varying set of streams.

Instead of trying to delay the publication of WHEP until it meets our
needs, we should think about what is the right solution for Galene.  We
could either consider having Galene act as a WHIP client (so it can
publish a full videoconference as a set of WHIP streams), but that would
require the receiver to act as a web server (have a TLS certificate, etc.)
Or we could design a control protocol where a client connects to Galene
over WebSocket or SSE and is instructed by the server to open arbitrary
numbers of WHEP sessions.

Or we could aim for the sky and try to get Galene's native protocol[1]
standardised.  After all, there's already an independent implementation of
the protocol[2], so that should fit the IETF requirements.

[1]: https://galene.org/README.PROTOCOL.html
[2]: https://github.com/erdnaxe/galene-stream

@ 2024-10-03 14:51 ` Goffi
From: Goffi @ 2024-10-03 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)