From: Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@irif.fr>
To: Rob Dean <robdeanmzl@gmail.com>
Cc: galene@lists.galene.org
Subject: [Galene]  Re: Galène with PHP
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2021 19:37:00 +0100	[thread overview]

> I was wondering if it were possible to use Galène inside a PHP page, as we want
> to get our students to fill out some details before joining in, and we thought
> that we could use php SESSION cookies to check they've completed everything
> before letting them in.

Sure.  What you'll want to do depends on your security model, though.

The simplest, but least secure, would be to check your session cookie in
the galene.js file; look around line 2600, where it says

    document.getElementById('userform').onsubmit

This is easily gamed by the user (they can edit the source code in the
browser), but if the goal is simply to guide the students and has no
influence on their grades, it's probably good enough.

If, on the other hand, you want stronger security, you'll need to pass the
session cookie to the server and do the validation there.  You'll need to
add a parameter to the serverConnect.join method, pass the value within
the "value" field of the join message, and do the validation in the function
handleClientMessage in webclient.go.

-- Juliusz