* [Galene] Re: Undefined minimal version of Go
       [not found] <172417791670.1321.13737969066310020067@gauss.local>
@ 2024-08-20 18:27 ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2024-08-20 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: randomgibberish111gnbvnkw; +Cc: galene

> The installation guide says that "Go 1.17 or later" is needed for building
> Galene, but go.mod defines min. version as Go 1.19.

Thanks for the report, I'll fix that ASAP.  My policy is to have Galene
build with the version of Go included in Debian Stable.

> Moreover, trying to build the project with Go 1.19 results in an error,
> since some part(s) of the code use(s) crypto/ecdh, a package that was
> first implemented in Go 1.20.

Galene-0.9.1 (the latest released version) builds fine with Go 1.19.  It's
the master branch that doesn't, but then, I'm allowed to occasionally
break master, amn't I?

Unfortunately, the current release of Pion depends on a recent version of
golang.org/x/crypto, which requires Go 1.20:

  https://github.com/pion/webrtc/issues/2869

I'm currently waiting to see if the Pion developers can fix the issue.  If
they don't, I'll revert to an earlier version of Pion before I release
Galene-0.9.2.

Sorry for the mess.  The extremely aggressive deprecation policy of the Go
project is at odds with the release cycle of Debian Stable, and ensuring
that Galene builds under Debian Stable is a major pain.

-- Juliusz

only message in thread, other threads:[~2024-08-20 18:28 UTC | newest]