From: Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@irif.fr>
To: Tim Panton <tim@pi.pe>
Cc: eric_G <junk.eg@free.fr>, galene@lists.galene.org
Subject: [Galene] Re: Heads up: default video codec is now VP9
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 11:04:06 +0200	[thread overview]

> From our experience the deal with autoplay on safari is that you can
> only successfully call play from a click.

Galene creates videos asynchronously, as people join and leave the group.
We cannot require a click everytime somebody joins.

There's an (undocumented?) hack in Safari, which allows autoplay if a page
holds a reference to a microphone or webcam stream.  So what we do is that
we keep a reference to a microphone stream throughout a session.  That
seems to work on iPad, so I'm surprised it doesn't work on desktop.

(Thankfully, we don't need to do that on other browsers, since users like
the ability to follow a lecture on Galene without being required to grant
microphone access.  Thanks to Safari's "security" features, videoconferencing
software can spy on you.)

-- Juliusz