* [Galene] Pyrite update
@ 2022-01-21 19:26 Jeroen van Veen
From: Jeroen van Veen @ 2022-01-21 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: galene

Hello,

Best wishes for the new year. Some news and plans about Pyrite development I would like
to share. I'm finally started to dogfooding Pyrite with daily standups in my dayjob, and am trying to make it
more usable with the feedback I've received so far. Thanks to @ericgaspar there is now also a French Pyrite.
If you want to checkout a running instance of Pyrite; there is now a galene group with 3 regular users on https://pyrite.video/
galene-1 / galene-1
galene-2 / galene-2
galene-3 / galene-3

Feedback is more than welcome. For more information, checkout https://github.com/garage44/pyrite/projects/1

kind regards,

Jeroen

* [Galene] Re: Pyrite update
@ 2022-01-22 19:29 ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2022-01-22 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeroen van Veen; +Cc: galene

> If you want to checkout a running instance of Pyrite; there is now a galene
> group with 3 regular users on https://pyrite.video/

I've been unable to get it to work -- I receive the error "Join a group first".
Using Brave based on Chromium 97 on Linux.

-- Juliusz

* [Galene] Re: Pyrite update
@ 2022-01-24 16:00   ` Jeroen van Veen
From: Jeroen van Veen @ 2022-01-24 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juliusz Chroboczek; +Cc: galene

The login messages are still a bit off, when a login error occurs.
These users have only permissions on the galene group. I'll add a ticket
for the login error handling. Also, there seems to be an issue with changing
the permissions in Pyrite. I'll check that out asap.

> > If you want to checkout a running instance of Pyrite; there is now a galene
>
> > group with 3 regular users on https://pyrite.video/
>
> I've been unable to get it to work -- I receive the error "Join a group first".
>
> Using Brave based on Chromium 97 on Linux.
>
> -- Juliusz

* [Galene] Re: Pyrite update
@ 2022-01-24 18:49     ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2022-01-24 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeroen van Veen; +Cc: galene

> The login messages are still a bit off, when a login error occurs.

You should make sure that you don't attempt to join before the onconnected
callback has triggered.  When the user clicks the join button, you should
render it inactive (grayed out, or whatever), and invoke the
ServerConnection.join method.

In the onjoined callback, you check the "kind" field.  If it is "joined",
you update your user interface to the connected state, and send
a "request" message to receive streams (use the "permissions" field to
decide whether to enable the present button).  If, on the other hand, kind
is "fail", then you display a suitable error message and go back to the
initial setup.

(Afterwards, you keep listening on the onjoined callback -- kind "change"
indicates that your permissions have changed, which might require you to
update your UI.  Kind "leave" indicates that you've left the group, for
example because the administrator has kicked you out.)

-- Juliusz

* [Galene] Re: Pyrite update
@ 2022-01-24 19:00       ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2022-01-24 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeroen van Veen; +Cc: galene

I've made this explicit in the docs:

  https://github.com/jech/galene/commit/221ed44538e2c78f765b81fba06765b46c3111e7

* [Galene] Re: Pyrite update
@ 2022-01-25  8:23       ` Jeroen van Veen
From: Jeroen van Veen @ 2022-01-25  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juliusz Chroboczek; +Cc: galene

Thanks for the detailed info, this one is on the top of my list to fix.
I still have to fix anonymous login too. Somewhat out-of-scope for now, but I also
would like to see a way where a user can reuse it's session and doesn't have
to go through the login screen every time. I'll probably try to combine that with
the new authorization method that Galene offers.

Jeroen