From: Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com>
To: Sean DuBois <sean@siobud.com>
Cc: galene@lists.galene.org, Frank Carmickle <frank@carmickle.com>
Subject: [Galene] Re: WebRTC unConference this tuesday, would love more speakers
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 08:00:14 -0700	[thread overview]

I proposed a session with roughly this text. I am cc-ing a friend even more
blind than I am.

Very cool. I note that my principal use for videoconferencing is because I
am blind in one eye and deaf in one ear. Until the rise of webrtc I relied
on skype and its emacs interface to cope with many interactions and
I often find it difficult to find various icons and interfaces in all the webrtc
clients and web browsers I've been asked to cope with.

Discovering that the now common, and mandatory TFA texting method
didn't work with skype, recently, was no fun. skype rings all my devices,
nothing else does.

And if I lose the other eye or other ear, I will have really insurmountable
problems. Knowing this, I've worked really hard to make videoconferencing work
well, starting with my work in the rmcat working group years ago,
and continuing with some excitement into galene now, where, finally
having access into a SFU, I can make a difference.

It's oft kind of difficult for me to talk publicly about my problems,
and ask others to help solve them...  but I would  really like webrtc
clients to have working speech to text (and text to speech), in
particular.  3d positional audio would be nice, also, using
ambisonics.

Also a debate feature where each participant would be limited by the
software to a 2 minute speaking time with a visual clock, would be
nice. I've been harangued a bit too often of late, and merely raising
my hand to invoke robert's rules of order not work well enough.

I reworked what I just wrote into a generic "Improving webrtc for people with
disabilities" talk... It's not clear what timezone the conference is in.

--
Latest Podcast:
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6791014284936785920/

Dave Täht CTO, TekLibre, LLC