* [Galene] WebRTC unConference this tuesday, would love more speakers
@ 2021-05-16 14:30 Sean DuBois
From: Sean DuBois @ 2021-05-16 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: galene

Hey List,

The details are at https://unconf.wonder.me/event it can be as short/long as you want it!
I really would love first time speakers. Lots of interesting things happening in the space,
we need new voices. Just share your perspective on WebRTC.

Even if you have a germ of an idea share it and we can iterate.

* Robotics
* Game streaming
* Code bases/specific SFUs
* Learning WebRTC and what you found challenging
* Share your interesting project
* Talk about what WebRTC needs. How can we improve it?

This conference also will be using Galene! I wrote a tool that generates
rooms from a web form https://github.com/sean-der/unrtc-schedule-maker
will write a README so others can use soon as well.

* [Galene] Re: WebRTC unConference this tuesday, would love more speakers
@ 2021-05-16 15:00 ` Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2021-05-16 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean DuBois; +Cc: galene, Frank Carmickle

I proposed a session with roughly this text. I am cc-ing a friend even more
blind than I am.

Very cool. I note that my principal use for videoconferencing is because I
am blind in one eye and deaf in one ear. Until the rise of webrtc I relied
on skype and its emacs interface to cope with many interactions and
I often find it difficult to find various icons and interfaces in all the webrtc
clients and web browsers I've been asked to cope with.

Discovering that the now common, and mandatory TFA texting method
didn't work with skype, recently, was no fun. skype rings all my devices,
nothing else does.

And if I lose the other eye or other ear, I will have really insurmountable
problems. Knowing this, I've worked really hard to make videoconferencing work
well, starting with my work in the rmcat working group years ago,
and continuing with some excitement into galene now, where, finally
having access into a SFU, I can make a difference.

It's oft kind of difficult for me to talk publicly about my problems,
and ask others to help solve them...  but I would  really like webrtc
clients to have working speech to text (and text to speech), in
particular.  3d positional audio would be nice, also, using
ambisonics.

Also a debate feature where each participant would be limited by the
software to a 2 minute speaking time with a visual clock, would be
nice. I've been harangued a bit too often of late, and merely raising
my hand to invoke robert's rules of order not work well enough.

I reworked what I just wrote into a generic "Improving webrtc for people with
disabilities" talk... It's not clear what timezone the conference is in.

--
Latest Podcast:
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6791014284936785920/

Dave Täht CTO, TekLibre, LLC

* [Galene] Re: WebRTC unConference this tuesday, would love more speakers
@ 2021-05-16 17:42   ` Sean DuBois
From: Sean DuBois @ 2021-05-16 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Taht; +Cc: galene, Frank Carmickle

Dave,

That sounds like a really great talk! I haven't thought of these
problems before.

If you are interested I would love to help build a prototype of the
ideas you have. If we can build something that others find compelling I
bet we could find contributors if it works. There are some good existing
Speech-to-Text Open Source projects, we just need to solve the FFI
maybe?

The conference will run May 18th 2021, 5-8 PM CEST / 8-11 AM PST the
home page is a bit better https://unconf.wonder.me

@ 2021-05-17 13:11     ` Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2021-05-17 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean DuBois; +Cc: galene, Frank Carmickle

I see that my proposed talk is "unscheduled". I take it that means it
didn't fit and needs to be scheduled for another event?

I have time today to give it if desired.

--

@ 2021-05-17 18:29       ` Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2021-05-17 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean DuBois; +Cc: galene, Frank Carmickle

I am deeply concerned that given the number of participants (300??) in
this conference tomorrow that the back end servers for
it will overload, or we'll hit some bugs. I can spin up one or more
hefty boxes in my cloud for it, even dedicated hw, and rather
than give a talk, attempt to monitor and manage various system statistics.

--

@ 2021-05-17 18:50       ` Gabriel Kerneis
From: Gabriel Kerneis @ 2021-05-17 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: galene

On Mon, 17 May 2021, at 15:11, Dave Taht wrote:
> I see that my proposed talk is "unscheduled". I take it that means it
> didn't fit and needs to be scheduled for another event?

That's how "unconferences" work. Quoting the website:
« There are no selected "speakers", only participants and no pre-defined schedule! »

Just show up and give your talk.

Gabriel

* [Galene] Re: WebRTC unConference this tuesday, would love more speakers
@ 2021-05-17 19:42         ` Sean DuBois
From: Sean DuBois @ 2021-05-17 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Taht; +Cc: galene, Frank Carmickle

That would be amazing!

Right now I just have one VPS I rented from Digital Ocean. If we could
get multiple servers with galene + TLS that would make this way more
likely to be a success.

I also made some minor modifications and generated 500 static groups
ahead of time. https://gist.github.com/Sean-Der/0e64e77d03c426dd08b4913b3323ddb0

@ 2021-05-17 20:24           ` Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2021-05-17 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean DuBois; +Cc: galene, Frank Carmickle

Could we do a videoconference to discuss requirements? I'm busy til
6pm, available after.

--

@ 2021-05-17 20:26             ` Sean DuBois
From: Sean DuBois @ 2021-05-17 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Taht; +Cc: galene, Frank Carmickle

Awesome. Is that 6PM PST? I am EST now.

Send me an email + time you want to meet and will be there!

@ 2021-05-17 20:29     ` Gabriel Kerneis
From: Gabriel Kerneis @ 2021-05-17 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean DuBois, Dave Taht; +Cc: galene, Frank Carmickle

On Sun, 16 May 2021, at 19:42, Sean DuBois wrote:
> Dave,
>
> That sounds like a really great talk! I haven't thought of these
> problems before.

Relatedly : I speak sign language. Many videoconferencing software select the current speaker (when one video is in fullscreen mode) based on sound detection. Grid mode is okay if you have less than 4-9 people, pinning a video works if only one person is signing (but not seeing others at all is an issue if they want to interrupt), but both of those options fail spectacularly on mobile (small screen, hard to change the pinned video). Please, please implement a "fullscreen based on (hand) movement detection" feature.

Gabriel

* [Galene] Re: WebRTC unConference this tuesday, would love more speakers
@ 2021-05-17 20:29               ` Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2021-05-17 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean DuBois; +Cc: galene, Frank Carmickle

That's pdt. Sean,. So far as I know you are only a few miles from me
(I'm in san leandro, california). shorter rtts than
videoconferencing would be a goodness... I'd dearly  like to put at
least one up on bare metal if possible, also.

everyone can find me here at 6PM PDT:

https://tun.taht.net:8443/group/bufferbloat

use any login you like, no password, chrome is best BUT testing a few
browsers makes sense.