From: Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com>
To: Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@irif.fr>
Cc: galene@lists.galene.org
Subject: [Galene] Re: Peer-to-peer file transfer in Galene
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 10:12:12 -0800	[thread overview]

On Sun, Jan 30, 2022 at 10:00 AM Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@irif.fr> wrote:

> > The half formed thought was "share my slides with all participants".
> > Or my data files. I see folk reverting to dropbox a lot.
> >
> > /sendall data.tgz
>
> That would be called '/publish'.

Much better name, thx.

> It'd be fairly easy to implement (just publish the per-file nonce in
> group.data, and keep the file around until explicitly cancelled), but
> recall that it's peer-to-peer -- without some form of queuing, you'd
> probably congest your uplink pretty badly.  Or perhaps not, WiFi has
> improved a lot since I was a dashing young lad.

Well, the still half formed torrent-like thought was that it would be
torrent-like so that different chunks of the file went to different
locations and were meshed from there. So the speaker at least would
essentially only have one upload going per se', that would vanish
after the file ended up "out there"

Selfishly this would be intended to congest everyone's network roughly
equally, and exercise all these fancy new queuing algos.

--
I tried to build a better future, a few times:
https://wayforward.archive.org/?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.icei.org

Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC