From: Jeroen van Veen <jvanveen@protonmail.com>
To: Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@irif.fr>
Cc: "galene@lists.galene.org" <galene@lists.galene.org>
Subject: [Galene] Re: Config branch [was: User management]
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 08:22:51 +0000	[thread overview]

Thanks for the explanation! I regulary mix up authorisation and authentication :)
Such an authorisation scheme would be a great feature. It would be interesting at
some point to make authorisation methods pluggable in Pyrite (like "login with Github" or LDAP).
Would a change in a user's permissions mean that it would need to request a new token,
or should it be possible to change the permissions bound to a token from a Galène config file?

I also gave the multiple admin permission some more thought. Would it be an idea to make
the permission check for stats.json optional? E.g. if there are no admins configured,
then recordings won't be accessible and stats.json won't have basic auth?

I assume the admin permission is needed to deploy Galène without additional dependencies,
while having basic-auth secured endpoints for stats.json and recordings. In cases where a
proxy like Nginx and an in-between service like Pyrite admin is used, the access to
recordings (read directly from disk and proxied through Pyrite admin) and stats.json (http call
from Pyrite admin to http://localhost:8443/stats.json) don't seem to need an
additional security layer. What do you think?

Cheers,

Jeroen