From: Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@irif.fr>
To: "email@matrix8.org" <email@matrix8.org>
Cc: galene@lists.galene.org
Subject: [Galene]  Re: Talk about Galène today (monday) at 17pm CET
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2021 07:14:10 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

Thanks for your comments, they are useful.

> The first thing I researched on was to see if my usual preferred Debian
> is OK to run Galene. I found out that no particular Linux distro was
> recommended on official Galene site.

Point taken -- I'll make it clear in the doc that Galène works on any
Linux distribution, on BSD Unix, on Mac OS X, and on Windows.

> Then I started to research on preferred version of Go.

Right.  I need to make it clear that Go 1.13 or later is required on the
host that is used for compilation, and that nothing (except the kernel and
Galène itself) is required on the host that runs Galène.

> It was my first time to touch Go so I wanted to do some research on the
> background of Go language especially to see if there is any privacy
> breaching string attached to Google, the mother of Go.

The dependencies are downloaded from Google's servers.  You can disable
this functionality, but then the dependencies will be downloaded from
Microsoft Github.  We're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

>  Today I have been enjoying learning how to write JSON dictionary correctly

Okay, that's a different issue: we need a user-friendly way of defining
groups for Galène.  This is one of the most important remaining missing
bits.

> I also want to share that I had to replace the original self-signed
> certificate

Right.  Galène works fine with a self-signed certificate, but the browser
vendors display a huge red warning (even though self-signed certificates
are way more secure than plain (unencrypted) HTTP).  I'll make it clear
that while self-signed certificates are fine for testing, for production
usage you need a real certificate.

Thanks again for your comments,

-- Juliusz