* [Galene] reject spaces in username
@ 2021-01-12 15:24 Michael Ströder
From: Michael Ströder @ 2021-01-12 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: galene

HI!

Currently I don't want to deal with a user management and I'm just
generating temporary groups with random ids.

Thus groups have empty other field and then the group op uses /present
username to allow sending video.

It turned out that people used user names like "Ernie and Bert" with
spaces. Obviously this does not work especially for chat commands with
more than one argument.

So I'd rather want Galène to reject spaces in usernames. As interims
solution I will try to hack galene.html and add a pattern attribute to
<input id="username"> [1] but I'm not sure whether this causes any issue
in Javascript parts.

What do you think?

Ciao, Michael.

[1] https://html.com/attributes/input-pattern/

* [Galene] Re: reject spaces in username
@ 2021-01-12 15:36 ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2021-01-12 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Ströder; +Cc: galene

> It turned out that people used user names like "Ernie and Bert" with
> spaces. Obviously this does not work especially for chat commands with
> more than one argument.

It does, you just need to put the username in double quotes:

    /present "Ernie and Bert"
    /msg "Ernie and Bert" Don't use spaces in your username!

> So I'd rather want Galène to reject spaces in usernames.

We used to reject spaces, but people complained, especially for formal
meetings where people are asked to use their full name.  I can add an
option to reject spaces, but the default will remain.

> As interims solution I will try to hack galene.html and add a pattern
> attribute to <input id="username"> [1] but I'm not sure whether this
> causes any issue in Javascript parts.

Yeah, that's a good solution.  But it won't get upstream, for the reasons
outlined above.

-- Juliusz