* [Galene] Pyrite - experimental frontend for Galene
@ 2021-01-16 17:33 Jeroen van Veen
From: Jeroen van Veen @ 2021-01-16 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: galene

Hi,

In my spare time, I've been experimenting a bit with a Galene fronend. Part
of the fun for me is to learn more about Galene; the other part is to learn
more about Vue 3. It's not functional yet and it may never be.
In case anyone is interested:
https://github.com/garage44/pyrite
https://pyrite.video/

Things I've been experimenting with so far:
* Using protocol.js / galene.js with Vue
* Auto-deployment using semantic version together with Unpkg/Nginx proxy
* State store for Vue3
* PostCSS (vs. SCSS)
* Vite buildtool

- Jeroen

* [Galene] Re: Pyrite - experimental frontend for Galene
@ 2021-01-16 18:10 ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2021-01-16 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeroen van Veen; +Cc: galene

> https://pyrite.video/

The server said: not authorised.

* [Galene] Re: Pyrite - experimental frontend for Galene
@ 2021-02-05 16:35   ` Jeroen van Veen
From: Jeroen van Veen @ 2021-02-05 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juliusz Chroboczek; +Cc: galene

I replaced the npm/unpkg workflow with a simple deployment service to learn more about Go (https://github.com/garage44/rand).
The files are now hosted locally by nginx instead of being proxied through unpkg, which should make it much more responsive/reliable.
Updates are much easier/faster to deploy now. In the meanwhile i18n(dutch), a PWA installer, Chat/commands and some tweaks were
added to Pyrite. A lot of stuff that doesn't work (properly) yet, but so far it's been a fun side-project to work on! Some thoughts
about what I would like to build next:

* Show roles next to users (is this information available? I only can see my own user's present/op permission)
* Think of some UI-elements for some commands (e.g. user context actions)
* Keep up with the latest Galene frontend changes
* Add file sharing (is this possible yet with Data Channels?)

For these features, a REST'ish API with json returns would be nice:
* Administrator UI for groups
* Recording UI

* [Galene] Re: Pyrite - experimental frontend for Galene
@ 2021-02-05 18:43     ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2021-02-05 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeroen van Veen; +Cc: galene

> * Show roles next to users (is this information available? I only can
> * see my own user's present/op permission)

It's not available.  I agree that it should be, except if somebody thinks
it's a privacy violation.

> * Think of some UI-elements for some commands (e.g. user context actions)

Yes.  That's something that's badly needed.

> * Add file sharing (is this possible yet with Data Channels?)

Depends if you want the file to flow through the server, or to go directly
peer-to-peer.  I'm planning to implement it as peer-to-peer, in which case
no changes to the server are needed — use the "userMessage" message to do
your signalling.

Please make sure you document your signalling protocol, so we can use the
same one.

> For these features, a REST'ish API with json returns would be nice:
> * Administrator UI for groups

I don't want this implemented in the server: have a second process that
does the administration.  Galène will pick up the changes made to the
on-disk JSON files after a few seconds.

> * Recording UI

Please clarify.

-- Juliusz

* [Galene] Re: Pyrite - experimental frontend for Galene
@ 2021-02-06 19:52       ` Jeroen van Veen
From: Jeroen van Veen @ 2021-02-06 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juliusz Chroboczek; +Cc: galene

> > * Show roles next to users (is this information available? I only can
>
> > -   see my own user's present/op permission)
>
> It's not available. I agree that it should be, except if somebody thinks'
> it's a privacy violation.

Would be great! Having the permission info per user available would make
implementing user context actions much easier/useful I suppose.

> > -   Think of some UI-elements for some commands (e.g. user context actions)
>
> Yes. That's something that's badly needed.

> > -   Add file sharing (is this possible yet with Data Channels?)
>
> Depends if you want the file to flow through the server, or to go directly
> peer-to-peer. I'm planning to implement it as peer-to-peer, in which case
> no changes to the server are needed — use the "userMessage" message to do
> your signalling.
>
> Please make sure you document your signalling protocol, so we can use the
> same one.

Good idea to do this p2p indeed. Would love to try this out and document it.
May take me some time to get at that point though.

> > For these features, a REST'ish API with json returns would be nice:
> >
> > -   Administrator UI for groups
>
> I don't want this implemented in the server: have a second process that
> does the administration. Galène will pick up the changes made to the
> on-disk JSON files after a few seconds.

Alright. Sounds like a nice mini project to write in Go :)

> > -   Recording UI
>
> Please clarify.

I figured it would be a nice feature to have the stats and recordings list
as a single-page view inside Pyrite, just for the people who have the role access
rights. Iirc, the recordings page is flat html, which is fine, but to consume it
in an existing app, it may be easier to have a json representation of the recording
files. Another direction may be to implement this in a second process, because the
information is all on disk already(just like with the admin ui). I suppose that
would be the way to go.

@ 2021-02-06 20:21         ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2021-02-06 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeroen van Veen; +Cc: galene

>> It's not available. I agree that it should be, except if somebody thinks'
>> it's a privacy violation.

> Would be great! Having the permission info per user available would make
> implementing user context actions much easier/useful I suppose.

Uh-huh.  Also, the ability to send chat messages should be an explicit
permission.

Anyone see any objections for privacy reasons?

>> > For these features, a REST'ish API with json returns would be nice:
>> >
>> > -   Administrator UI for groups
>>
>> I don't want this implemented in the server: have a second process that
>> does the administration. Galène will pick up the changes made to the
>> on-disk JSON files after a few seconds.

> Alright. Sounds like a nice mini project to write in Go :)

The alternative would be for the server to allow GET/PUT of the JSON
files, so that you can write your administration interface entirely in the
client.  With a little help from If-Match, this could be made safe against
lost updates.

Whatever we choose to do, the ability to modify the on-disk JSON files and
have Galène pick up the changes with no user intervention will remain.
I like it.

>>> -   Recording UI

> I figured it would be a nice feature to have the stats and recordings
> list as a single-page view inside Pyrite,

[...]

> Iirc, the recordings page is flat html, which is fine, but to consume it
> in an existing app, it may be easier to have a json representation of
> the recording files. Another direction may be to implement this in
> a second process, because the information is all on disk already(just
> like with the admin ui).

I haven't though about it seriously, but a JSON index of the files is
a good idea.

-- Juliusz