Galène videoconferencing server discussion list archives
* [Galene]  doc auto-hébergement serveur Galène (in french)
@ 2021-04-12 21:33 Nicolas Mesnier
From: Nicolas Mesnier @ 2021-04-12 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: galene

Dear all,

I have just written (in french) a small step by step tutorial to set-up
a home Galène server (behind a NAT) in a VM with a reverse proxy.

    http://nmesnier.free.fr/galene.html

It is dedicated to newbies like me wishing to self-host their Galène
server among other services. It is also a way to share the precious
help Juliusz Chroboczek gave me.

If it can help...
Nicolas

* [Galene] Re: doc auto-hébergement serveur Galène (in french)
@ 2021-04-12 22:37 ` Fabrice Rouillier
From: Fabrice Rouillier @ 2021-04-12 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Mesnier; +Cc: galene

Hi,

Great job !

As far as I can see it will work only with IPV6 .... I suspect you have a freebox :-)

To check :
Deactivate the ipv6 on your VM and connect from outside (for example with a 4g connexion) or simply type /relay-test in the chat.

May be the script I did write might help : https://gitlab.Inria.fr/rouillie/visio

All the best

@ 2021-04-13  7:44   ` Nicolas Mesnier
       [not found]     ` <4B93AB88-4B63-4D80-82B5-4D371B12F937@rouillier.fr>
From: Nicolas Mesnier @ 2021-04-13  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Rouillier; +Cc: galene

Hi,

Thanks for your interest.

I'm behind a Livebox 5 and the set up is intented to be IPv4.
It works with cell phones over 4G connexions.

It seems it is just ufw's config that enable IPv6 by default. I've disable
it setting "IPV6=yes" to "IPV6=no" in "/etc/default/ufw", reloaded ufw,
restarted nginx and having a conf call with a friend over Galène and
everythings works execpt the "/relay-test" which is still "timeout"...

Bests,
Nicolas

@ 2021-04-13 13:37       ` Nicolas Mesnier
From: Nicolas Mesnier @ 2021-04-13 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Rouillier; +Cc: galene

Many thanks for helping.
Indeed, you're right: my set up only works with IPv6!

1. I've seen in firefox, as you expected, an IPv6 connexion for ICE...
2. I've then try to disable IPv6 on my VM

        # sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1
        # sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1

   then reload Galène and observed the connexion was now IPv4
   but I can't share audio nor video
   and the /relay-test is still timeout...

Discussions about your installation script suggest to install a coTURN
server. I've tried the method you described but without any success...

As a newbie, I don't figure what's the problem of such IPv6 configuration,
since it seems accessible via "standard" IPv4. Is that a lack of
compatibility with all devices/connexions?

No doubts real tests with my students back from holidays on the 26th
will reveal me (part of) the problem...
It would be a pleasure if someone can help me to avoid such a situation!

@ 2021-04-13 16:48         ` Fabrice Rouillier
From: Fabrice Rouillier @ 2021-04-13 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Mesnier; +Cc: galene

> 1. I've seen in firefox, as you expected, an IPv6 connexion for ICE...
> 2. I've then try to disable IPv6 on my VM
>
>        # sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1
>        # sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1
>
>   then reload Galène and observed the connexion was now IPv4
>   but I can't share audio nor video
>   and the /relay-test is still timeout…

This confirms that the turn is unreachable.

> Discussions about your installation script suggest to install a coTURN
> server. I've tried the method you described but without any success…

You did apply exactly the documentation ? (Strange since we have exactly the same installation …)
Be careful : you need to open much more ports as you did before ...

> As a newbie, I don't figure what's the problem of such IPv6 configuration,

With IPV6 there is no NAT so that the turn is useless.

> since it seems accessible via "standard" IPv4. Is that a lack of
> compatibility with all devices/connexions?

Your turn is simply not working.

> No doubts real tests with my students back from holidays on the 26th
> will reveal me (part of) the problem…
Not necessarily since it suffice that they all have IPV6 connexions.

A good test might be for a 4G connexion using SFR which has almost no IPV6 or also Free mobile who activated IPV6 only recently.

> It would be a pleasure if someone can help me to avoid such a situation!

Please, try this with a fresh VM following line by line the instructions :
https://gitlab.inria.fr/rouillie/visio/-/tree/master/galene

Fabrice.

* [Galene]  Re: doc auto-hébergement serveur Galène (in french)
@ 2021-04-14 13:54           ` Nicolas Mesnier
From: Nicolas Mesnier @ 2021-04-14 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Rouillier; +Cc: galene

Hi,
I followed your script
https://gitlab.inria.fr/rouillie/visio/-/tree/master/galene
to install and configure a coTURN server on port 1194/tcp.

A key point to get my config working as full IPv4 was to disable IPv6
connectivity on the Livebox 5.

Now the tchat /relay-test is successful.
Isn't it a good indicator of IPv4 connexion, as well as ICE informations
got with about:webrtc in firefox?

Anyway, I've updated my tutorial http://nmesnier.free.fr/galene.html.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Nicolas