* [Galene] About versioning (semver) and Internationalization (i18n)
@ 2021-08-04 20:37 Mathieu Carrandié
From: Mathieu Carrandié @ 2021-08-04 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: galene

Hi,

I'm not a Go developer at all (for now ?...), but surfing around the web to
know more about it I found those 2 packages :
About git tags semver :
https://github.com/therootcompany/go-gitver

About i18n :
https://github.com/nicksnyder/go-i18n

I can't tell if those are overkill or useful, I just wanted to point them
to anyone fluent with Go.

Still about version, I think it would be nice to have a way to get the
actual version number on the server side and client side :
like a 'galene -v' command on the server side
and a function in the protocol.js to help display it dynamically on the
frontend.

M.

--
Mathieu Carrandié, artisan web
UnSeulT.net <https://unseult.net> | @UnSeulT <https://twitter.com/unseult>
| 06 69 33 82 08
N° Siren : 513 284 190

* [Galene] Re: About versioning (semver) and Internationalization (i18n)
@ 2021-08-05 12:08 ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2021-08-05 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Carrandié; +Cc: galene

> I'm not a Go developer at all (for now ?...), but surfing around the web to
> know more about it I found those 2 packages :

> https://github.com/therootcompany/go-gitver

I think it would only be useful if I were providing binary releases.
Since I don't (users and packagers are expected to compile their own
Galene), and since the go build system doesn't make it possible to run
"go generate" at build time, they are pretty much useless.

I could of course include a Makefile, but that would make it impossible to
compile Galene by doing a simple "go install".

If anyone knows otherwise, I'm interested.

> About i18n : https://github.com/nicksnyder/go-i18n

Most of Galene's user interface is on the client side, so this is not
useful.  There is a pull request for internationalisation of Galene[1],
but right now the server is my main priority (I need it to be rock solid,
the client can wait), so I'm not too keen on applying too many client-side
patches right now.  (If anyone volunteers to help maintaining the
client-side code, I'll be extremely grateful.)

[1] https://github.com/jech/galene/pull/56

-- Juliusz