Galène videoconferencing server discussion list archives
* [Galene] Galène management interface
@ 2021-04-23 16:31 Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2021-04-23 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: galene

Dear all,

There's been a submission for a management interface at

  https://github.com/jech/galene/pull/82

The main issue right now is whether this should be merged into the Galène
repository.  My personal opinion right now (but I might still change my
mind) is that I'd like to see it in a separate repository (and Go module)
that depends on Galène.  I've already started exporting some Galène
internals in order to avoid code duplication.

There are good reasons to keep the interface separate:

1. Galène is intended to be easy to integrate into an existing website
   (imagine adding videoconferencing functionality to a cat video forum or
   an e-learning platform).  For embedding, it would probably be better to
   provide the right hooks for an external interface rather than
   a complete management interface.

2. People's opinions on management interfaces are likly to be variable,
   and therefore it would be good to not bind too closely Galène with
   a single management interface.

There are also some reasons to merge the two:

I. Having a single repository will make it easier to install both at the
   same time.

II. Having a canonical management interface integrated with Galène will
    reduce user confusion.

I'd like to hear people's opinions on the subject.

-- Juliusz

* [Galene] Re: Galène management interface
@ 2021-04-23 17:48 ` ibu ☉ radempa
From: ibu ☉ radempa @ 2021-04-23 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: galene

On 23.04.21 18:31, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> There are good reasons to keep the interface separate:
[...]
> There are also some reasons to merge the two:
[...]
> I'd like to hear people's opinions on the subject.

Dear Juliusz,

first big thanks for creating this software!

Please take my 2ct as a non-institutional, privacy-concerned newcomer.

I'd opt for modularity (separate interface), because in the long run I
plan to do account provisioning from within another application; I might
write a simple webAPI (in my favourite language) which manages the group
files, and gets called from that other application. So I don't need a
built-in management UI or AuthBackend, just stability of the
configuration file interface (or an equivalent webAPI).

BR, ibu

* [Galene]  Re: Galène management interface
@ 2021-04-23 20:44 ` Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen @ 2021-04-23 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juliusz Chroboczek, galene

Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@irif.fr> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> There's been a submission for a management interface at
>
>   https://github.com/jech/galene/pull/82
>
> The main issue right now is whether this should be merged into the Galène
> repository.  My personal opinion right now (but I might still change my
> mind) is that I'd like to see it in a separate repository (and Go module)
> that depends on Galène.  I've already started exporting some Galène
> internals in order to avoid code duplication.
>
> There are good reasons to keep the interface separate:
>
> 1. Galène is intended to be easy to integrate into an existing website
>    (imagine adding videoconferencing functionality to a cat video forum or
>    an e-learning platform).  For embedding, it would probably be better to
>    provide the right hooks for an external interface rather than
>    a complete management interface.
>
> 2. People's opinions on management interfaces are likly to be variable,
>    and therefore it would be good to not bind too closely Galène with
>    a single management interface.
>
> There are also some reasons to merge the two:
>
> I. Having a single repository will make it easier to install both at the
>    same time.
>
> II. Having a canonical management interface integrated with Galène will
>     reduce user confusion.
>
> I'd like to hear people's opinions on the subject.

I have no strong opinion about where the management interface should
live, as long as it's possible to turn it off and configure Galene
without it :)

-Toke