* [Galene] Some poorly thought out feedback on git head
@ 2022-05-03 19:04 Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2022-05-03 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: galene

I deployed git head today. Almost nothing of what I say below has any
bearing (I think) on git head or not, as the LTE circumstances I was
working under were so poor. So this is "some", largely useless,
general feedback, in the hope that others try similar things under
more controlled conditions, or I do, later.

a safari user had their self view freeze, but transmission and
reception of everything else worked.
an iphone user was unhappy about the iphone interface, in particular
seeing a black box where the chat window could have been.  (I don't
normally have *any* apple users).

firefox and google-chrome were good.

In my case, under some of the worst lte I've ever had...

If I let it go idle, several times I was logged out. Whether that was
related to my vpn experiment, or the lousy lte connection I was on,
nat, ipv4 vs ipv6, I don't know.

In an earlier test,  I'd ran a wireguard vpn (also with a tailscale),
both under lte, and it blew up - in one case, video couldn't get
through but voice could. I have not worked to figure out what actually
went wrong, it could be anything from packet size to a routing or nat
problem.

Aside from that, Mrs Linchpin says the play was pretty good.

--
FQ World Domination pending: https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/state_of_fq_codel/
Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC

* [Galene] Re: Some poorly thought out feedback on git head
@ 2022-05-03 20:07 ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2022-05-03 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Taht; +Cc: galene

Hi Dave,

As you note, we have some problems with Safari.

> a safari user had their self view freeze,

Yeah, Safari will randomly pause videos at weird times in order to save
battery.  I've caught many such places, but I must have missed some.
That's the main reason why there is a play button at the bottom of the
video, which you can click if autoplay is denied by the browser.

> an iphone user was unhappy about the iphone interface, in particular
> seeing a black box where the chat window could have been.

That's a new one.  We definitely need more reports from Apple users.

> If I let it go idle, several times I was logged out.

Galene sends keepalives after 55s at most, on the assumption that the
smallest NAT timeout it will encounter is 60s.  I can easily reduce the
timeout, let me know if you have a value to suggest.

> In an earlier test,  I'd ran a wireguard vpn (also with a tailscale),
> both under lte, and it blew up - in one case, video couldn't get
> through but voice could. I have not worked to figure out what actually
> went wrong, it could be anything from packet size to a routing or nat
> problem.

That's a known issue with WebRTC, unfortunately: the connectivity probing
is completely decoupled from the data plane, and uses small packets.  If
the probes get through but the packets don't, you get a blackhole.

As a workaround, you can try typing « /set forceRelay true » and hitting
reload.

-- Juliusz