* [Galene] Should volume start at <100%?
@ 2021-01-17 12:21 Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2021-01-17 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: galene

One user is suggesting that the initial volume start at a value less than 100%:

  https://github.com/jech/galene/issues/37

Does anyone have any strong opinions either way?

* [Galene] Re: Should volume start at <100%?
@ 2021-01-17 14:26 ` Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen @ 2021-01-17 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juliusz Chroboczek, galene

Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@irif.fr> writes:

> One user is suggesting that the initial volume start at a value less than 100%:
>
>   https://github.com/jech/galene/issues/37
>
> Does anyone have any strong opinions either way?

What does the volume slider actually do? Boosting the volume "above
100%" would be fine I think (my pulseaudio settings already has this
option), but actually making everything quieter by default would be
annoying...

Not sure what the audio quality implications in terms of distortion or
clipping is on such a "boost beyond 100%" - whether it's in Galene or
Pulseaudio or both?

-Toke

* [Galene] Re: Should volume start at <100%?
@ 2021-01-17 16:21   ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2021-01-17 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen; +Cc: galene

> What does the volume slider actually do?

It sets the HTMLMediaElement.volume property:

  The volume IDL attribute must return the playback volume of any audio
  portions of the media element. On setting, if the new value is in the
  range 0.0 to 1.0 inclusive, the media element's playback volume must be
  set to the new value. If the new value is outside the range 0.0 to 1.0
  inclusive, then, on setting, an "IndexSizeError" DOMException must be
  thrown instead.

  https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/media.html#dom-media-volume

* [Galene] Re: Should volume start at <100%?
@ 2021-01-17 16:47 ` Michael Ströder
From: Michael Ströder @ 2021-01-17 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: galene

On 1/17/21 1:21 PM, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> One user is suggesting that the initial volume start at a value less than 100%:
>
>   https://github.com/jech/galene/issues/37
>
> Does anyone have any strong opinions either way?

Given the many ways volume can be adjusted/mixed on the client system it
is IMO not worth the effort to think about a default != 100%.

Ciao, Michael.

* [Galene] Re: Should volume start at <100%?
@ 2021-01-17 16:49   ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2021-01-17 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Ströder; +Cc: galene

> Given the many ways volume can be adjusted/mixed on the client system it
> is IMO not worth the effort to think about a default != 100%.

The issue is with a large meeting (say, 20 people), where one person is
significantly less audible than the others.  Currently, you need to reduce
the volume of 19 people in order to make that one person audible.

* [Galene] Re: Should volume start at <100%?
@ 2021-01-17 16:52     ` Giuseppe Castagna
From: Giuseppe Castagna @ 2021-01-17 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: galene

Another alternative would be to add a lock/unlock audio so that when you
change one slider you change all. So that you can lock, lower the volume
of 20 people with a single slide, unlock, raise the volume of the
remaining person

Beppe

@ 2021-01-17 16:57     ` Michael Ströder
From: Michael Ströder @ 2021-01-17 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: galene

On 1/17/21 5:49 PM, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
>> Given the many ways volume can be adjusted/mixed on the client system it
>> is IMO not worth the effort to think about a default != 100%.
>
> The issue is with a large meeting (say, 20 people), where one person is
> significantly less audible than the others.  Currently, you need to reduce
> the volume of 19 people in order to make that one person audible.

There are so many possible reasons why a single user is less audible
than others.

Personally I have no overview how the "browser volume" influence the
system volume settings. Is that OS- and browser-specific?

Therefore I suspect there's no easy way around teaching users to get
their microphone setup right. And yes, I'd appreciate if there would be
such a solution I can control centrally.

Ciao, Michael.

* [Galene] Re: Should volume start at <100%?
@ 2021-01-17 23:14     ` Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen @ 2021-01-17 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juliusz Chroboczek; +Cc: galene

Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@irif.fr> writes:

>> What does the volume slider actually do?
>
> It sets the HTMLMediaElement.volume property:
>
>   The volume IDL attribute must return the playback volume of any audio
>   portions of the media element. On setting, if the new value is in the
>   range 0.0 to 1.0 inclusive, the media element's playback volume must be
>   set to the new value. If the new value is outside the range 0.0 to 1.0
>   inclusive, then, on setting, an "IndexSizeError" DOMException must be
>   thrown instead.
>
>   https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/media.html#dom-media-volume

Right, so in that case implementing this would make Galene quieter than
everything else on the machine, right? That seems annoying :)

-Toke

* [Galene] Re: Should volume start at <100%?
@ 2021-01-18  9:06       ` Giuseppe Castagna
From: Giuseppe Castagna @ 2021-01-18  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: galene

A different suggestion to the same problem, in the media options part of
the Settings add a "global volume slider" that controls all video
sliders: you move it at, say 50%"and all the sliders move at 50%. It can
overriddent by single sliders (you move one window slider it does not
affect the other windows or the global volume slider)

Beppe