* [Galene] Installation on a VPS with Apache server
@ 2021-04-26 15:29 Mathieu Carrandié
From: Mathieu Carrandié @ 2021-04-26 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: galene

[message in french after the english version]
Hi,

After searching on the different readme available, on the Github issues or
on this mailing-list, I couldntt find any info on how to install an Galène
instance on an Apache server
What are the prerequisites ? required mods...
What configuration for the VirtualHost, url rewriting rules...
I try to get this work on a VPS.

Thanks a lot for helping me setting this up !
I'd be glad to compile the infos and propose this doc on the github repo.

Bonjour,

Après recherche dans les readme dispos, sur les issues Github ou cette
mailing list je ne trouve pas d'info sur comment installer une instance
Galène sur un serveur Apache.
Quels sont les pré-requis ? Mods nécessaire...
Quelle configuration pour le VirtualHost, règles d'url rewriting...
J'essaye de faire fonctionner ça sur un VPS.

Merci de votre aide !
Je serais ravi de compiler tout ça et de proposer un doc d'aide sur le repo
Github.

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Carrandié, artisan web
UnSeulT.net <https://unseult.net> | @UnSeulT <https://twitter.com/unseult>
| 06 69 33 82 08
N° Siren : 513 284 190

* [Galene] Re: Installation on a VPS with Apache server
@ 2021-04-26 15:37 ` Fabrice Fourc
From: Fabrice Fourc @ 2021-04-26 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Carrandié; +Cc: galene

Hi Mathieu,
here in my site-config file.
Fabrice

<IfModule mod_ssl.c>

<VirtualHost *:443>
ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
DocumentRoot /var/www/html/meet

ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/galene/error.log
CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/galene/access.log combined

ServerName galene.serveur.com
SSLCertificateFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/galene/fullchain.pem
SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/galene/privkey.pem
Include /etc/letsencrypt/options-ssl-apache.conf

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP:UPGRADE} ^WebSocket$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP:CONNECTION} ^Upgrade$ [NC]
RewriteRule .* ws://localhost:3000%{REQUEST_URI} [P]

SSLProxyEngine on

SSLProxyVerify none
SSLProxyCheckPeerCN off
SSLProxyCheckPeerName off
SSLProxyCheckPeerExpire off

ProxyPassMatch ^/(ws)$  ws://localhost:3000/$1

ProxyPreserveHost On
       ProxyPass / http://localhost:3000/
       ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:3000/

</VirtualHost>
</IfModule>

@ 2021-04-26 16:31 ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2021-04-26 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Carrandié; +Cc: galene

> After searching on the different readme available, on the Github issues or
> on this mailing-list, I couldntt find any info on how to install an Galène
> instance on an Apache server

Galène acts as a standalone HTTPS server, it does not rely on a separate
web server.  On galene.org, we run a stock web server on port 443 (static
files only), and a standalone instance of Galène on port 8443.

Some people prefer to run Galène behind a reverse proxy (a web server
acting as a reverse proxy).  While not the recommended mode of operation,
this is a perfectly legitimate choice.

> What are the prerequisites ? required mods...

If you run Galène as a standalone server (the recommended mode of operation),
there are no prerequisites, the web server does not even need to be aware
of Galène.

If you run Galène behind a reverse proxy, then you need whatever
implementation of a reverse proxy your web server requires.  In the case
of Apache, this is "mod_proxy", I believe.  You'll probably want to run
Galène with the "-insecure" option, in order to simplify configuration.

-- Juliusz

* [Galene] Re: Installation on a VPS with Apache server
@ 2021-04-26 16:32   ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2021-04-26 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Fourc; +Cc: galene

> here in my site-config file.

Judging from this file, it looks like you're running Galène with some
non-default options.  At the very least, "-http :3000 -insecure".

-- Juliusz