* [Galene] Galene tags & webserver API
@ 2024-04-29 12:36 Sebastien Binet
From: Sebastien Binet @ 2024-04-29 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: galene-list

hi there,

(thanks for Galène! it's a nice project and pion code reference to look at :P)

I have 2 questions:

1) why does the Galene project tags releases with "galene-X.Y.Z" instead of the Go-modules compatible "vX.Y.Z" ?
 using "vX.Y.Z" would enable nicer-looking 'require' sections in projects using galene.

2) would you be ok with PRs reducing the amount of global variables in the webserver package ?
 I'd like to package a galene webserver inside my binary (and embed.FS a bunch of static files with it: my own "static" hierarchy).

perhaps the answer to both questions is actually rooted in the same reason: one just compiles and runs galene but not import/reuse it ?

cheers,
-s

* [Galene] Re: Galene tags & webserver API
@ 2024-04-29 18:54 ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2024-04-29 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Binet; +Cc: galene-list

Hi,

> 1) why does the Galene project tags releases with "galene-X.Y.Z"
> instead of the Go-modules compatible "vX.Y.Z" ?
> using "vX.Y.Z" would enable nicer-looking 'require' sections in
> projects using galene.

Go versions obey semver semantics. Galene internals, on the other hand,
are not compatible between versions
Hence, you cannot depend on a major version of Galene, you need to depend
on a precise got hash.

In order to keep people from assuming semver semantics, I'm deliberately
using an incompatible versioning scheme.

> 2) would you be ok with PRs reducing the amount of global variables in
> the webserver package?

Difficult to say without seeing the PR, but I don't have an objection in
principle.

-- Juliusz