* [Galene] Docker config?
@ 2020-12-23  3:18 Jeroen van Veen
From: Jeroen van Veen @ 2020-12-23  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: galene

Hello,

Thank you for open-sourcing Galene. I already love it! Its a breeze to get it up and running.
I'm currently evaluating it on a VPS behind a NGINX proxy (https://galene.ca11.app/).

From a fork (https://github.com/garage44/galene/) I'm trying out some ideas. Hope these bulletpoints don't
offend anyone; I'm just excited about the software and looking for ways to contribute. Probably not useful for
the project at all, but maybe some things might stick:

* Create small docker image for one-line "try-out" setup (not tested from other machines)
Most people seem to love short readme texts with just a few setup steps. Maybe a minimal
docker image is a good way to have an even faster "try-out" experience for interested people?

* Move most documentation from the README to a Github wiki (https://github.com/garage44/galene/wiki)
A lot of documentation in the README! How about moving it a level further away from the README,
so the README only contains a project description and the bare minimum of setup/developer instructions?
This would also make it easier for users to contribute documentation, without intervering with the code-base.

* Rename README to README.md
It's annoying that Github doesn't parse a README as markdown by default, but it improves the readability
on the Github frontpage a lot. The Github readme seems to be the landing page for most people new to an
open-source project. Maybe that would make it worth considering to rename it after all?

* Option to disable TLS
Would it be an idea to let Nginx sort this out? Most people are already familiar with a Letsencrypt/Certbot/Nginx
setup. Galene could have less config in that case to worry about.

Cheers,

Jeroen

* [Galene] Re: Docker config?
@ 2020-12-23 13:33 ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2020-12-23 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeroen van Veen; +Cc: galene

Thanks for the kind words, Jeroen.

> * Create small docker image for one-line "try-out" setup

That's cool.  I'm not going to include it in Galene, since I don't run
Docker myself and would be unable to maintain your contribution, but I'll
be glad to put a link to the galene.org page.  Please let me know when
it's tested and you believe it's ready for public consumption.

> * Move most documentation from the README to a Github wiki
> (https://github.com/garage44/galene/wiki)

I'm trying to avoid relying too much on third parties, and to keep as much
as possible within Git.  A git repository is easy to migrate if we decide
to change providers, not so with a Github wifi.  If people think that
a Wiki is necessary, we could conceivably put one on galene.org.

(Toke, who's kindly administering this mailing list, is publishing the
list archives as a Git repository, so that we can migrate away at any
point.  I see no reason to migrate away from Toke, but I wouldn't want to
use a mailing list provider who doesn't make that possible.)

(Now if somebody were to design a usable issue tracker that allows easy
migration, my happiness would be complete.)

> * Rename README to README.md

> It's annoying that Github doesn't parse a README as markdown by default,
> but it improves the readability on the Github frontpage a lot.

Yep.  I've reported the issue to the Github people, they told me to f*ck off.
Another reason to avoid relying too much on Github.

> * Option to disable TLS

> Would it be an idea to let Nginx sort this out? Most people are already
> familiar with a Letsencrypt/Certbot/Nginx
> setup. Galene could have less config in that case to worry about.

Yes, that makes sense.  The reason Galène doesn't support HTTP is that
WebRTC requires a secure context.  I'd be glad to accept a pull request to
conditionally disable HTTPS.

-- Juliusz

* [Galene] Re: Docker config?
@ 2020-12-23 13:49   ` Antonin Décimo
From: Antonin Décimo @ 2020-12-23 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juliusz Chroboczek, Jeroen van Veen; +Cc: galene

> > * Move most documentation from the README to a Github wiki
> > (https://github.com/garage44/galene/wiki)
>
> I'm trying to avoid relying too much on third parties, and to keep
> as much as possible within Git. A git repository is easy to migrate
> if we decide to change providers, not so with a Github wifi
> [sic ;-)]. If people think that a Wiki is necessary, we could
> conceivably put one on galene.org.

I personally dislike GitHub wikis (I find them hard to browse), but
note that they’re itself git repositories. If edited from the web,
each change is commited with an optional message, using the GitHub
account. Provided the wiki has been created, it can be cloned with:

    git clone git@github.com:jech/galene.wiki.git

> (Now if somebody were to design a usable issue tracker that allows easy
> migration, my happiness would be complete.)

If you haven't taken a look at it, maybe https://sourcehut.org/ would
better fit your needs.

-- Antonin

* [Galene] Re: Docker config?
@ 2020-12-23 14:47     ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2020-12-23 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonin Décimo; +Cc: Jeroen van Veen, galene

> Provided the wiki has been created, it can be cloned with:

>     git clone git@github.com:jech/galene.wiki.git

If Toke ever decides to kick me out, I import the subscriber list and the
list archives into another mailing list manager and change the DNS records
to point at the new server.  Total downtime: 3 hours, less if I have the
foresight to reduce the DNS TTL beforehand.

How do I migrate from a Github wiki to a different provider?

>> (Now if somebody were to design a usable issue tracker that allows easy
>> migration, my happiness would be complete.)

> If you haven't taken a look at it, maybe https://sourcehut.org/ would
> better fit your needs.

I'll have a look, thanks.

-- Juliusz

* [Galene] Re: Docker config?
@ 2020-12-23 15:14       ` Antonin Décimo
From: Antonin Décimo @ 2020-12-23 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juliusz Chroboczek; +Cc: Jeroen van Veen, galene

> How do I migrate from a Github wiki to a different provider?

Various markups languages are supported, the markup of a file is
discovered using its extension (so you’d have to add .md). The web
interface doesn't take into account the structure of the repo
(directories don't map to subpages). You can customize the sidebar as
a workaround.

Essentially, it's just a flat directory with a bunch of files. No
annotations, structure, use your favorite markup language. If you want
to migrate, clone the wiki, maybe pandoc your way into another markup
language (or not).

I’m not found of them, they tend to get out-of-sync, IMO carrying the
doc within the repository and periodically generating and uploading
html from the repo somewhere is better, but it may be more noisy in
the main repo, and more cumbersome to set up.

One advantage of gh wikis is that you can loosen up editing rights to
a bigger community than developpers of the main repo. But that may
also imply proof-reading from a maintainer… some projects set up a
wiki but distanciate themselves from it; editing and maintaining the
wiki is left to the community.

* [Galene] Re: Docker config?
@ 2020-12-24 14:25   ` Jeroen van Veen
From: Jeroen van Veen @ 2020-12-24 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juliusz Chroboczek; +Cc: galene

> > -   Create small docker image for one-line "try-out" setup
>
> That's cool. I'm not going to include it in Galene, since I don't run
> Docker myself and would be unable to maintain your contribution, but I'll
> be glad to put a link to the galene.org page. Please let me know when
> it's tested and you believe it's ready for public consumption.

I'm not really sure about the current Docker build yet. It may be a problem to
keep in sync with development, unless its generated from a ci. I'll try some
things first and let you know when I have something workable.

> > -   Move most documentation from the README to a Github wiki
> >     (https://github.com/garage44/galene/wiki)
> >

> I'm trying to avoid relying too much on third parties, and to keep as much
> as possible within Git. A git repository is easy to migrate if we decide
> to change providers, not so with a Github wifi. If people think that
> a Wiki is necessary, we could conceivably put one on galene.org.
>
> (Toke, who's kindly administering this mailing list, is publishing the
> list archives as a Git repository, so that we can migrate away at any
> point. I see no reason to migrate away from Toke, but I wouldn't want to
> use a mailing list provider who doesn't make that possible.)
>
> (Now if somebody were to design a usable issue tracker that allows easy
> migration, my happiness would be complete.)
>
> > -   Rename README to README.md
>
> > It's annoying that Github doesn't parse a README as markdown by default,
> > but it improves the readability on the Github frontpage a lot.
>
> Yep. I've reported the issue to the Github people, they told me to f*ck off.
> Another reason to avoid relying too much on Github.
>
> > -   Option to disable TLS
>
> > Would it be an idea to let Nginx sort this out? Most people are already
> > familiar with a Letsencrypt/Certbot/Nginx
> > setup. Galene could have less config in that case to worry about.
>
> Yes, that makes sense. The reason Galène doesn't support HTTP is that
> WebRTC requires a secure context. I'd be glad to accept a pull request to
> conditionally disable HTTPS.

Great! I made a small PR (https://github.com/jech/galene/pull/16). Please let
me know if it needs more work. I'm still quite unfamiliar with Golang.