* [Galene] Recording in v0.61
@ 2022-12-06 20:28 Craig Miller
From: Craig Miller @ 2022-12-06 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: galene

Hi All,

I apologize if this has been covered somewhere else. I thought I would
try the /record option (as operator), and what I got was 3 different
streams (there were 3 video windows showing at the time).

I am wondering if there is a way to record just a shared screen, and the
audio from the presenter's stream in one mp4? This is what we are hoping
for in a recorded presentation, the shared screen and the presenter's audio.

thanks in advance,

Craig....

* [Galene] Re: Recording in v0.61
@ 2022-12-06 22:01 ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2022-12-06 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig Miller; +Cc: galene

> I apologize if this has been covered somewhere else. I thought I would try
> the /record option (as operator), and what I got was 3 different streams
> (there were 3 video windows showing at the time).

Yes.

> I am wondering if there is a way to record just a shared screen, and the
> audio from the presenter's stream in one mp4? This is what we are hoping
> for in a recorded presentation, the shared screen and the presenter's
> audio.

Galene records the raw media that it has received from the clients,
hopefully with minimum loss of information.  This is intented to serve as
input for further editing and postprocessing: Galene is not a video
editor, it's a videoconferencing server.

I don't have any particular tool to recommend, but some of my colleagues
have had good results with kdenlive.

Ideally, somebody (not me) should write a tool that does all the necessary
merging and synchronisation of Galene's streams automatically.  I'm not
willing to add any video editing functionality to Galene (Galene is not
a video editor), but I'm willing to generate any supporting files that
such a tool would need.

-- Juliusz

* [Galene] Re: Recording in v0.61
@ 2022-12-06 22:13 ` Dianne Skoll
From: Dianne Skoll @ 2022-12-06 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: galene

On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 12:28:59 -0800
Craig Miller <cvmiller@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am wondering if there is a way to record just a shared screen, and
> the audio from the presenter's stream in one mp4? This is what we are
> hoping for in a recorded presentation, the shared screen and the
> presenter's audio.

Can't you just run obs on the presenter's computer and capture its audio
and screen display?  That should get you exactly what you need, and
probably of higher quality than running it across the network.

Regards,

Dianne.

(obs = Open Broadcast Studio; https://obsproject.com/)

* [Galene] Re: Recording in v0.61
@ 2022-12-06 22:38   ` Craig Miller
From: Craig Miller @ 2022-12-06 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juliusz Chroboczek; +Cc: galene

On 12/6/22 14:01, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
>> I apologize if this has been covered somewhere else. I thought I would try
>> the /record option (as operator), and what I got was 3 different streams
>> (there were 3 video windows showing at the time).
> Yes.
>
>> I am wondering if there is a way to record just a shared screen, and the
>> audio from the presenter's stream in one mp4? This is what we are hoping
>> for in a recorded presentation, the shared screen and the presenter's
>> audio.
> Galene records the raw media that it has received from the clients,
> hopefully with minimum loss of information.  This is intented to serve as
> input for further editing and postprocessing: Galene is not a video
> editor, it's a videoconferencing server.
>
> I don't have any particular tool to recommend, but some of my colleagues
> have had good results with kdenlive.
>
> Ideally, somebody (not me) should write a tool that does all the necessary
> merging and synchronisation of Galene's streams automatically.  I'm not
> willing to add any video editing functionality to Galene (Galene is not
> a video editor), but I'm willing to generate any supporting files that
> such a tool would need.
>
> -- Juliusz

Thanks that explains what I am seeing is the intended behavour. I was
under the impression that it was a use case to record University
lectures, and assumed that there was something I was missing to get the
audio of the presenter  to mix with the video of the shared presentation.

Sure, I could use OBS, or even a video editor, like OpenShot to do the
mixing.

thanks again,

Craig...

* [Galene] Re: Recording in v0.61
@ 2022-12-07  0:38     ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2022-12-07  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig Miller; +Cc: galene

> Sure, I could use OBS, or even a video editor, like OpenShot to do the
> mixing.

Please report on the list.  The recording functionality was hell to get
working (I had to fork some parts of Pion), and I'm not sure whether I got
it right in the end.

-- Juliusz

* [Galene] Re: Recording in v0.61
@ 2022-12-07  8:18       ` Miroslav
From: Miroslav @ 2022-12-07  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: galene

Hello,

I have been using Galene for quite some times and noticed the
improvement in video/audio recording.

The audio is always good now, but I have problems with video recordings.

I have noticed two issues with the video recordings :

- the picture becomes blurry during a few seconds or sometimes longer
(see attached examples). It happens many times during the recording,
even though the picture was good during the conference. I think that it
is due to the internet connection quality. Usually my video stream
recording is always good, but when an other person has a medium or low
quality internet connection the video recording has issues. I ask the
person to manually reduce the sending quality but it doesn't really help.
It would be nice to get a feedback from other users.

- the video stream for one person can be cut and I sometimes get two or
three parts I need to assemble during editing. Maybe it is normal, I
don't know.

Request for feature :

- Could it be possible to have a "download" button for the recordings ?
I don't know if the download will be fast but it might be easier to get
the recordings from the server.

FYI :

- I use Galene for videoconferences and for podcasting (audio and
video). Since I am not always sure about the video recording, I also use
Vokoscreen in order to record directly on my computer. Despite the video
recording issue, Galene is a very good tool

- For video editing I use Kdenlive, it is perfect and very easy to use.

Thank you Juliusz for creating Galene.

Miroslav

Le 07/12/2022 à 01:38, Juliusz Chroboczek a écrit :
>> Sure, I could use OBS, or even a video editor, like OpenShot to do the
>> mixing.
> Please report on the list.  The recording functionality was hell to get
> working (I had to fork some parts of Pion), and I'm not sure whether I got
> it right in the end.
>
> -- Juliusz

[-- Attachment #2: galene2.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 580379 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: galene1.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 190640 bytes --]

* [Galene] Re: Recording in v0.61
@ 2022-12-07 12:04     ` Jeroen van Veen
From: Jeroen van Veen @ 2022-12-07 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig Miller; +Cc: Juliusz Chroboczek, galene

You can add audio to the screenshare stream (at least in Chrome-based browsers) by using
audio: true in getDisplayMedia (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Screen_Capture_API/Using_Screen_Capture#capturing_shared_audio).
Then you would only need to download that particular recorded stream. Another nice tool for stitching
multiple streams together is ffmpeg. Haven't tried it myself, but here is an (old) example: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Create%20a%20mosaic%20out%20of%20several%20input%20videos

kind regards,

Jeroen

> On 12/6/22 14:01, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
>
> > > I apologize if this has been covered somewhere else. I thought I would try
> > > the /record option (as operator), and what I got was 3 different streams
> > > (there were 3 video windows showing at the time).
> > > Yes.
> >
> > > I am wondering if there is a way to record just a shared screen, and the
> > > audio from the presenter's stream in one mp4? This is what we are hoping
> > > for in a recorded presentation, the shared screen and the presenter's
> > > audio.
> > > Galene records the raw media that it has received from the clients,
> > > hopefully with minimum loss of information. This is intented to serve as
> > > input for further editing and postprocessing: Galene is not a video
> > > editor, it's a videoconferencing server.
> >
> > I don't have any particular tool to recommend, but some of my colleagues
> > have had good results with kdenlive.
> >
> > Ideally, somebody (not me) should write a tool that does all the necessary
> > merging and synchronisation of Galene's streams automatically. I'm not
> > willing to add any video editing functionality to Galene (Galene is not
> > a video editor), but I'm willing to generate any supporting files that
> > such a tool would need.
> >
> > -- Juliusz
>

> Thanks that explains what I am seeing is the intended behavour. I was
> under the impression that it was a use case to record University
> lectures, and assumed that there was something I was missing to get the
> audio of the presenter to mix with the video of the shared presentation.
>
> Sure, I could use OBS, or even a video editor, like OpenShot to do the
> mixing.
>
> thanks again,
>
> Craig...

* [Galene] Re: Recording in v0.61
@ 2022-12-07 16:36         ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2022-12-07 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miroslav; +Cc: galene

> - the picture becomes blurry during a few seconds or sometimes longer (see
> attached examples).

That may happen after a keyframe, if the congestion controller indicates
that there isn't enough throughput available to send the whole keyframe.
This is more visible when recording, since recording causes extra keyframes.

> It happens many times during the recording, even though the picture was
> good during the conference.

Strange, the picture should be exactly the same.  Are you using the same
video player?  Perhaps there's a sharpening filter in one player and not
the other?

> Usually my video stream recording is always good, but when an other
> person has a medium or low quality internet connection the video
> recording has issues.

Yes, if you have a good connection, then the congestion controller doesn't
limit the throughput.

> - the video stream for one person can be cut and I sometimes get two or
> three parts I need to assemble during editing. Maybe it is normal, I don't
> know.

Yes, it's unfortunately normal: WebRTC may change the video's resolution
at every keyframe (due to congestion or due to the user rotating their
phone), and we start a new file every time.

I've considered using a single file even when changing resolution, the
resulting video works, but it's not a technically correct Matroska file.

> - Could it be possible to have a "download" button for the recordings ?

There's one already.  Just go to

  https://galene.example.org:8443/recordings/groupname/

-- Juliusz

* [Galene] Re: Recording in v0.61
@ 2022-12-07 16:39       ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2022-12-07 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeroen van Veen; +Cc: Craig Miller, galene

> You can add audio to the screenshare stream (at least in Chrome-based
> browsers) by using audio: true in getDisplayMedia

Galene already does that:

  https://github.com/jech/galene/blob/master/static/galene.js#L1460

The effect is that the desktop audio (on Windows) or the browser audio (on
Linux) is mixed into the screen capture stream.  It doesn't mix the
microphone audio into the screenshare stream.

-- Juliusz

* [Galene] Re: Recording in v0.61
@ 2022-12-07 21:15           ` Miroslav
From: Miroslav @ 2022-12-07 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juliusz Chroboczek; +Cc: galene

Miroslav

Le 07/12/2022 à 17:36, Juliusz Chroboczek a écrit :
>> - the picture becomes blurry during a few seconds or sometimes longer (see
>> attached examples).
> That may happen after a keyframe, if the congestion controller indicates
> that there isn't enough throughput available to send the whole keyframe.
> This is more visible when recording, since recording causes extra keyframes.
Do you think it could be possible to improve the recording reliability
for low internet connections in future versions of Galene ? Even if the
image is not high resolution, this would be less stressfull when you
record an important conference (and the speaker has a slow connection).
In my case I always double with a local recording (using Vokoscreen) but
it requires some preparation.
Sorry if I say stupid things (I am not a computer scientist) but I have
seen an other videoconferencing tool using a web front end (= no
application to download on your PC) and the video is stored in the
browser and sent to the server on the go. The recorded file continous to
be uploaded after the end of the conference (= the presenter must keep
his browser open a few more minutes until the file is totally uploaded).
It is then possible to have a "lower" quality recording and a higher
quality recording.

>> It happens many times during the recording, even though the picture was
>> good during the conference.
> Strange, the picture should be exactly the same.  Are you using the same
> video player?  Perhaps there's a sharpening filter in one player and not
> the other?
During the video conference I use Firefox or Chromium. I read the
recordings with Chromium or I simply download the files and edit with
Kdenlive

>> Usually my video stream recording is always good, but when an other
>> person has a medium or low quality internet connection the video
>> recording has issues.
> Yes, if you have a good connection, then the congestion controller doesn't
> limit the throughput.
>
>> - the video stream for one person can be cut and I sometimes get two or
>> three parts I need to assemble during editing. Maybe it is normal, I don't
>> know.
> Yes, it's unfortunately normal: WebRTC may change the video's resolution
> at every keyframe (due to congestion or due to the user rotating their
> phone), and we start a new file every time.
>
> I've considered using a single file even when changing resolution, the
> resulting video works, but it's not a technically correct Matroska file.
As long as the video and audio quality are good it is not a real problem.

>> - Could it be possible to have a "download" button for the recordings ?
> There's one already.  Just go to
>
>    https://galene.example.org:8443/recordings/groupname/
Sorry but I only have a "delete" button. I've opened the
/recordings/groupname/ link with Chromium and Chrome same result.

> -- Juliusz

* [Galene] Re: Recording in v0.61
@ 2022-12-08  6:31         ` Jeroen van Veen
From: Jeroen van Veen @ 2022-12-08  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juliusz Chroboczek; +Cc: Craig Miller, galene

Hey Juliusz,

Good to know, I wasn't sure about the microphone audio. Thanks!

> > You can add audio to the screenshare stream (at least in Chrome-based
>
> > browsers) by using audio: true in getDisplayMedia
>

> Galene already does that:
>
> https://github.com/jech/galene/blob/master/static/galene.js#L1460
>
> The effect is that the desktop audio (on Windows) or the browser audio (on
> Linux) is mixed into the screen capture stream. It doesn't mix the
> microphone audio into the screenshare stream.
>
> -- Juliusz

* [Galene] Re: Recording in v0.61
@ 2022-12-08 18:47             ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2022-12-08 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miroslav; +Cc: galene

>> That may happen after a keyframe, if the congestion controller indicates
>> that there isn't enough throughput available to send the whole keyframe.
>> This is more visible when recording, since recording causes extra keyframes.

> Do you think it could be possible to improve the recording reliability for
> low internet connections in future versions of Galene ?

The obvious solution would be to implement client-side recording, so that
the sender can record a high-quality video before it is sent through the
low-bandwidth link.  Would that solve your problem?

> Sorry if I say stupid things (I am not a computer scientist) but I have
> seen an other videoconferencing tool using a web front end (= no
> application to download on your PC) and the video is stored in the browser
> and sent to the server on the go.

That looks like client-side recording.

>>> - Could it be possible to have a "download" button for the recordings ?

>> There's one already.  Just go to

>>    https://galene.example.org:8443/recordings/groupname/
> Sorry but I only have a "delete" button. I've opened the
> /recordings/groupname/ link with Chromium and Chrome same result.

I'm confused.  Every video file is a link to the video, you may
right-click and select « record as ».  Another solution is to use
a download manager (I use lftp, but that's somewhat too geeky for most
people).

What is it exactly that you need ?  A « Download » button for each file so
that you don't need to right-click ?  Or a single « Download » button that
downloads the whole directory as a Zip file ?

-- Juliusz

* [Galene] Re: Recording in v0.61
@ 2022-12-08 21:14               ` Miroslav
From: Miroslav @ 2022-12-08 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juliusz Chroboczek; +Cc: galene

Miroslav
Le 08/12/2022 à 19:47, Juliusz Chroboczek a écrit :
>>> That may happen after a keyframe, if the congestion controller indicates
>>> that there isn't enough throughput available to send the whole keyframe.
>>> This is more visible when recording, since recording causes extra keyframes.
>> Do you think it could be possible to improve the recording reliability for
>> low internet connections in future versions of Galene ?
> The obvious solution would be to implement client-side recording, so that
> the sender can record a high-quality video before it is sent through the
> low-bandwidth link.  Would that solve your problem?
Yes it could solve the problem of video recording quality and hopefully
improve recording reliabilty.

>> Sorry if I say stupid things (I am not a computer scientist) but I have
>> seen an other videoconferencing tool using a web front end (= no
>> application to download on your PC) and the video is stored in the browser
>> and sent to the server on the go.
> That looks like client-side recording.
Yes

>>> There's one already.  Just go to
>>>     https://galene.example.org:8443/recordings/groupname/
>> Sorry but I only have a "delete" button. I've opened the
>> /recordings/groupname/ link with Chromium and Chrome same result.
> I'm confused.  Every video file is a link to the video, you may
> right-click and select « record as ».  Another solution is to use
> a download manager (I use lftp, but that's somewhat too geeky for most
> people).
>
> What is it exactly that you need ?  A « Download » button for each file so
> that you don't need to right-click ?  Or a single « Download » button that
> downloads the whole directory as a Zip file ?

Reading you're message I just realise that the right click works and I
have never tried :-) . What confused me is that the message on the right
click is "save link as" and not "record as". Sorry for that.

Maybe a "download" button could help.

Up to now I use to download my files via ssh ... I like the right click
better !

> -- Juliusz

* [Galene] Re: Recording in v0.61
@ 2022-12-08 22:33                 ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2022-12-08 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miroslav; +Cc: galene

> Reading you're message I just realise that the right click works and
> I have never tried :-) . What confused me is that the message on the right
> click is "save link as" and not "record as".

This is just a normal HTTP page, with no JavaScript magic, so the
functionality is provided by the browser.  I agree it's not discoverable,
but at least it's uniform across websites.

-- Juliusz