From: Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@irif.fr>
To: T H Panton <tim@pi.pe>
Cc: Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com>, Shevek <shevek@anarres.org>,
	galene@lists.galene.org
Subject: [Galene] Re: whipi [was: two cameras for galene]
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 13:26:03 +0200	[thread overview]

> What you could do is plug that encoder into a Raspberry Pi running my software

  https://github.com/pipe/whipi

It uses the WHIP protocol, which is currently in the final phases of
implementation at IETF.  There's a branch of Galene that implements WHIP,
but it hasn't been merged yet.

WHIP is currently the best hope for a standard ingress protocol that
multiple videoconferencing servers support: the promise of WHIP is that
things like OBS or even the firmware of your IP camera speak directly to
a wide range of videoconferencing servers.  WHIP is about to enter last
call, so we may expect it to become a standard within three to six months.

(The IETF has also started work on a competing protocol based on QUIC,
which aims to avoid putting a full WebRTC stack in the server.  I'm trying
to keep an open minde, but while I dislike the WebRTC stack, I don't think
that QUIC is the right transport for video.  But then, you don't get
a promotion at Google for working on RTP.)

-- Juliusz