From: Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@irif.fr>
To: Shevek <shevek@anarres.org>
Cc: galene@lists.galene.org, Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com>
Subject: [Galene] Re: feature: two cameras for galene
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 04:13:35 +0200	[thread overview]

> In UI terms, I would expect:
> Present/Share My ...
> --> Window / Tab / Desktop / _Camera_
> ----> Select the appropriate window/desktop/camera as usual.

That cannot be implemented: the UI that allows you to pick what to share
is provided by the browser, and cannot be customised by the application.

Also, Galene's UI doesn't work like that: it's designed to allow easily
sharing multiple windows (during an online lecture, I will often share my
slides and a virtual blackboard, and during a practical, students often
share an editor and a terminal window).

You may try it out at https://galene.org:8443/group/public/ (empty
password).

The ability to have multiple cameras streaming from a single tab is
useful, but it requires some thought to integrate into the UI.

> If I'm streaming to an RTMP/RTSP reflector (Youtube, Twitch, Brightcove,
> Vimeo, etc), then I  don't need Galene/Zoom/OBS/GVC at all, as the
> hardware has RT*P support.

It would not be too difficult to implement RTMP support in Galene; the
problem, however, is that the only codecs that are supported by both RTMP
and WebRTC are H.264 and G.711, and the former is not supported on some
devices, while the latter has atrocious sound quality.