From: Shevek <shevek@anarres.org>
To: Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@irif.fr>
Cc: galene@lists.galene.org, Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com>
Subject: [Galene] Re: feature: two cameras for galene
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 17:09:49 -0700	[thread overview]

Thank you for following up.

In UI terms, I would expect:
Present/Share My ...
--> Window / Tab / Desktop / _Camera_
----> Select the appropriate window/desktop/camera as usual.

where Camera is a new option allowing me to select a v4l2 source instead
of using screen capture. The presentation source comes in via something
which (in hardware terms) looks like a camera, but usually isn't, in
fact, an optical element. In practice, I use an ATEM to composite the
"presentation" image from various SDI sources, and render it down to a
single stream entirely in hardware, which then presents as a v4l2 device.

If I'm streaming to an RTMP/RTSP reflector (Youtube, Twitch, Brightcove,
Vimeo, etc), then I  don't need Galene/Zoom/OBS/GVC at all, as the
hardware has RT*P support. But if I'm hosting a meeting on a particular
bidirectional video conference system, then the ability to treat a
secondary UVC device as a presentation source is an absolute blocker
(unless I want to render the presenter as a PiP, which detracts from one
corner of the presentation, and does not give the viewer choice of focus).

Does that help? I can probably make screenshots...

S.